Author Bio: Dorothy Metzler
Dorothy Metzler is Director of the Anne Springs Close Greenway Ecology Institute, sponsored by the North Central Math and Science HUB based at Winthrop University in Rock Hill, South Carolina.
- Connect articles
by Dorothy Metzler:
- From Field Trips to Field Work
- The challenge we face here at the Anne Springs Close Greenway Ecology Institute and among teachers in general is how to make good science resources available to many students and to do that in the context of the new math and science standards.
To meet the challenge, a group of teachers and I collaborated on a plan to use the resources of the Greenway - specifically trees - to address standards and to reach a greater number of students.
- Collecting Data
- Math teachers are always searching for ways to make their subject "relevant" to the real world. Science teachers know students love the outdoors, but wisely want to make it more than just a "field trip." Learning how to use natural environments to collect, analyze and present data was the answer for both math and science teachers.
- Hudson River Research Group
- The teacher and I were frustrated. These seventh and eighth grade students had lived along the Hudson River all of their lives but still didn't "know" the river. How could we help these students feel a connections to their river and gain a better understanding of the complexities of scientific research?